Team Research Resources
White & Case Jessup Guide
The White & Case Jessup Guide is a student-focused "how-to" manual for the Jessup Competition. The Guide contains information on: working with the Compromis, researching international law, writing Memorials, devising oral pleadings, and using skills learned from the Jessup in your legal career. The guide also contains video clips demonstrating good oral advocacy techniques. To access the guide, click here.
Access to Research Databases
Access codes to LexisNexis, HeinOnline, BrillOnline and the UNCLOS Commentary and the Canadian Guide to Uniform Legal Citation will be available to eligible teams upon payment of the registration fee.
Oxford Univeristy Press had made the following available:
Oxford Public International Law http://opil.ouplaw.com/home/OPIL
- Oxford Reports on International Law opil.ouplaw.com/home/ORIL
- Oxford Scholarly Authorities on International Law opil.ouplaw.com/home/OSAIL
- Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law opil.ouplaw.com/home/EPIL
Oxford Constitutions of the World http://oxcon.ouplaw.com/
Investment Claims oxia.ouplaw.com/
Oxford Competition Law oxcat.ouplaw.com/
Oxford Scholarship Online: Law www.oxfordscholarship.com
Introduction to International Law
This Introduction to International Law is a short document explaining the basic doctrines of international law. ILSA would like to acknowledge and thank Professor Robert Beckman of the Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore, who provided this document to ILSA for the benefit of Jessup teams and judges. Thanks are also owed to Dagmar Butte, ILSA Board Member, for helping Professor Beckman draft the Introduction.
The Official Jessup Rules require teams to identify their sources in their Memorials (written submissions). The Rules also require teams to use a citation form that provides a description of each authority that is adequate enough to allow a reasonable reader to identify and locate the authority in a publication of general circulation.
The ILSA Executive Office recommends the following citation systems:
- Canadian Guide to Uniform Legal Citation (7th Edition) Online access to this citation guide is available to all Jessup Participants, but requires a password.
- ALWD Citation Manual: A Professional System of Citation (Association of Legal Writing Directors, 4th ed., 2010)
- The Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities (University of Oxford, 2006)
- The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (Harvard Law Review Association, 19th ed. 2010)
- Introduction to Basic Legal Citation (LII, Peter Martin, 2007 ed.)
Please take note of the following research portal, administered by the American Society of International Law, as a possible starting point for research: Electronic Information System for International Law.
25 E. Jackson Blvd., Suite OMB1051
Chicago, IL 60604
Phone: (312) 362-5025
Fax: (312) 362-5073
All content © 2007-2014 International Law Students Association